The History of Harrigan Ford

Harrigan Ford History


Harrigan Ford have been trading in the Illawarra region since 1907. Herbert Harrigan and his family were the founders of Harrigan Ford. Herbert was apprenticed to the motor trade in 1899 and in July 1907 he opened his first business at 243 Crown Street, Wollongong - where the old Commonwealth Bank building now stands.

Pictured to the right is Harrigan Fords Motor Garage in Crown Lane Wollongong (Circa 1915).

From left is Will Harrigan, Fred Cooke, Victor Stumbles, Alfred Brickwood, Haerbert Harrigan and Lesley James. The car is a model T Ford and the petrol pump was Wollongongs first one.

Herbert Harrigan and his family were old style mechanics. If they couldn't get a part to fix your vehicle, they'd make it themselves. A great story is told about the shed in the picture to the right. In the early 1960's excavators at work in the adjoinging property, blasting rock to lay foundations for what was to become the Anthony Horden building. Unfortunately the blasters were too close to the back fence. After one particularly big explosion a large chunk of the Harrigan property disappeared into the excavation hole and the shed went with it.

The late John Elliott purchased Harrigan Ford in 1972, he and brett Elliott developed it to the extent that it now employs over 70 local people and has been the Illawarra's number 1 Ford dealer for many years.

Herbert Harrigan and his family were old style mechanics. If they couldn't get a part to fix your vehicle, they'd make it themselves. A great story is told about the shed in the picture to the right. In the early 1960's excavators at work in the adjoinging property, blasting rock to lay foundations for what was to become the Anthony Horden building. Unfortunately the blasters were too close to the back fence. After one particularly big explosion a large chunk of the Harrigan property disappeared into the excavation hole and the shed went with it.

The late John Elliott purchased Harrigan Ford in 1972, he and brett Elliott developed it to the extent that it now employs over 70 local people and has been the Illawarra's number 1 Ford dealer for many years.

Image Gallery

Below are historic images of Harrigan Ford and Wollongong.
Click on any image below to enlarge it.

Harrigan Ford Harrigan Ford Harrigan Ford
Harrigan Ford Harrigan Ford

Seniors Card
National Breast Cancer Foundation